Fashionista: The Definition:

fash⋅ion⋅is⋅ta  /ˌfæʃəˈnistə/ OR [fash-uh-nee-stuh].

1. a highly fashionable woman, usually
working in the fashion industry.

2. A term used to define a woman with a penchant for shopping and a natural flair for combining both current and vintage fashionable trends.

3. A woman devoted to high or unique fashion, with style unlike others that is not only chic but flattering


Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Day for Love (and gagging)

"I love the way you're breaking my heart
It's terribly, terribly, terribly, terribly thrilling!
I love the way you're breaking my heart.
Although you're gonna ruin it.
It's heaven while you're doin' it
I love the way I feel when we kiss
You're terribly, terribly, terribly irresistible
Sigh to me, and lie to me, you really know how
It's gonna hurt tomorrow, but it feels so good now
So darling, just keep playing your part
Take your time and really finish the things that you start
'Cause I love the way you're breaking my heart!"

Peggy Lee (or Delicatessen) - I Love The Way You're Breaking My Heart

Listen to the audio on Youtube

Heard this jazz song on the radio this morning on the way to get ready for the party I attended tonight. It has such a pretty yet sarcastic theme to it that I felt it was very much blog-worthy.

---

And another one: introduced by my French teacher, who was attempting to rack up some Valentine's Day spirit on Friday. (Sorry if you can't speak French. The super cheesy yet classic lyrics are here)

"Des yeux qui font baiser les miens,
Un rire qui se perd sur sa bouche,
Voila le portrait sans retouche
De l'homme auquel j'appartiens.

Quand il me prend dans ses bras
Il me parle tout bas,
Je vois la vie en rose.
Il me dit des mots d'amour,
Des mots de tous les jours,
Et ca me fait quelque chose.
Il est entre dans mon coeur
Une part de bonheur
Dont je connais la cause.
C'est lui pour moi.
Moi pour lui
Dans la vie,
Il me l'a dit, l'a jure pour la vie.

Et des que je l'apercois
Alors je sens en moi
Mon coeur qui bat

Des nuits d'amour a ne plus en finir
Un grand bonheur qui prend sa place
Des enuis des chagrins, des phases
Heureux, heureux a en mourir.

Quand il me prend dans ses bras
Il me parle tout bas,
Je vois la vie en rose.
Il me dit des mots d'amour,
Des mots de tous les jours,
Et ca me fait quelque chose.
Il est entre dans mon coeur
Une part de bonheur
Dont je connais la cause.
C'est toi pour moi.
Moi pour toi
Dans la vie,
Il me l'a dit, l'a jure pour la vie.
Et des que je l'apercois
Alors je sens en moi

Mon coeur qui bat..."

Edith Piaf - La Vie En Rose

"La Vie En Rose" is a French saying, similar to the English saying "Cloud Nine". The song itself, I found (even though I'm not a big foreign music fan) was uplifting and got stuck in my head. It is quite well-known, so it's good to know what it is.

Listen to it on Youtube.

There was a movie that came out last year with the same name of the song. It was a biography movie of Edith Piaf, the French singer who made the song famous. The actress who played Piaf, Marion Cotillard, won the Academy Award for the Best Actress in that film last year.

Piaf, born in 1915, was a beloved singer in France. The movie itself looks great - although I have not seen it yet, I watched the trailer and it seemed very worth watching. She had quite a dramatic life, using her skill of singing to make it out into the real world. She faced problems such as abusive boyfriends, drugs, alcohol, living in the streets, losing friends and her daughter, being accused of murder, almost getting shot by one of her boyfriends, and living in a prostitute house. She died of liver cancer in 1963. Her most famous and notable songs are "La Vie En Rose", "Hymme a l'amour", "Milford", and "Non, je ne regrette rien".

Anyways, that was a little taste of some foreign love songs as well as a cute scornful jazz piece. Get a listen and hopefully download one or another for whatever the reason. Happy Valentine's Day world...hope yours was more full of love than mine. And believe me, I bet everyone's was.

No comments: